Tuesday, November 08, 2011

What Happened to George

As you may have noticed, George was missing in action for a year since the last post. So......what happened?

Having enough computer knowledge to be dangerous, I used flash drive for storage. BIG MISTAKE! Fearing the worst, I usually transferred some of the information I considered crucial from flash drive to a hard disk at irregular intervals. Then the disaster struck. One morning I found that my flash drive is empty. The evening before I properly removed the flash drive from the computer and laid it on my wooden desk so it is not near anything else made of metal. Yet the flash drive decided to wipe itself clean overnight.

I took it to a computer store hoping they may be able to restore the files. But it was not meant to happen. Computer people told me that the flash drive spontaneously demagnetized and thus I lost everything on that drive. Bummer. They also told me that this is normal and that flash drives are not meant to be used as a permanent storage but only as temporary storage to transfer files between computers or for very short time. I was also told never to store anything on flash drive that I don't want to lose. So I lost about 80% of everything. The other 20% having been saved on my hard drive was not affected. Welcome to the wonderful world of computers!

I was discouraged by this event to do anything. I enetered a period of mourning. I had all my ATCs there, my letters, addresses and other important files. At least I considered them important. Obviously, they were not that important since I'm doing fine without them.

No comments: